For a science center to achieve its goal of democratizing science, it should cope with the dynamic pace of science and technology. The most effective way to do so is through opening up to the fast developing world, and cooperating with similar establishments regionally and internationally. To that end, being part of NAMES grants you the utility to access international network news and events, participate in collaborative projects between NAMES and other international science centers, exchange resources with other members, and work on regional collaborative projects with regional scientific/social aspects.
Members’ involvement in NAMES contributes greatly to the achievement of the mission, vision, and objectives of the Network; it is also a valuable opportunity to broaden members’ experience in the science communication field. Becoming part of NAMES means:
- Being part of a well-established and internationally recognized regional Network;
- Leaving a legacy and positioning yourself as a leader with a vision, directly and indirectly supporting the growth of the science communication field within the NAMES region;
- Sharing experiences of relevant educational contents and agendas;
- Working with colleagues facing similar challenges and opportunities;
- Participating in and exchanging programs of knowledge and capacity building;
- Customizing trainings and capacity-building programs at subsidized fees, in collaboration with international networks and experts, such as the biennial Euro-Mediterranean and Middle East (EMME) Summer School for Science Communication;
- Participating in official Network activities and events, including the Biennial NAMES Conference, at subsidized fees, including the opportunity to exhibit;
- Receiving periodical information on relevant activities and programs within the region and outside it; and
- Voting and nomination for the Network’s Board of Directors (only Full Members).
On behalf of NAMES’ Board of Directors, we would like to invite you to join NAMES Network.
NAMES joining procedures
- The applicant is required to fill out the online application form published on NAMES Website, noting that the applicant could be asked to provide additional information as per the request of the Board of Directors (BoD);
- NAMES Secretariat Office (SO) notifies the applicant within 30 days of receiving the online application with the BoD’s decision;
- Upon approval of the BoD, the applicant is required to print NAMES Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and Internal Regulations (IR) available on the Network’s official website; two signed hard copies of the MoU and one initialized hard copy of the IR are to be sent to NAMES mailing address;
- NAMES Executive Director signs the two MoU copies and one is sent back to the applicant;
- Upon signing the MoU and initializing the IR, members are required to pay fees on an annual basis; the value changes according to the BoD’s decision and members are notified accordingly;
- The membership is activated automatically upon receiving the full amount of the annual membership fees or semiannual membership fees in case the joining process is completed by the end of the second fiscal quarter.
Membership withdrawal notifications must be sent to NAMES Executive Director, or President, as well as NAMES SO.
Membership withdrawal is automatically accepted and effective at the end of the ongoing fiscal year, noting that membership fees already paid will not be reimbursed.
The fiscal year of the Network shall end on 30 June of each year, or any other date the BoD selects.
Individual Registration Institution Registration
- Full, Sustaining, and Individual Members are to pay an annual membership fee, which is subject to change according to the needs of the Network.
- The change in fees is decided by a consensus of at least two-thirds (2/3) of the BoD. The fees are announced at the beginning of each fiscal year.
- Fees are to be paid during the first three months of the current fiscal year. If the fee is not paid during this period, the membership will be automatically annulled unless the BoD decides otherwise in case of force majeure.
- In order to rejoin NAMES, organizations/individuals are required to submit a new membership application.
- Members accepted by the BoD in December or January will be invoiced for a semi-annual fee.
- Unless the SO receives a prior notification of withdrawal, memberships are automatically renewed and new invoices are issued at the beginning of the fiscal year.
- Members are welcome to make donations to the Network to support its operations. Donating or not donating to the Network will not affect the membership status of any member.
- Membership fees as well as donations are non-refundable.